Government seeks Indigenous artists to create memorial
The Alberta Government is seeking Indigenous artists to design a monument for the Residential Schools Memorial.
On June 25, 2021, the Alberta government announced it would work with Indigenous communities to establish a permanent memorial on the Alberta legislature grounds for the victims of the residential school system.
According to the news release, the provincial government has asked leaders of Indigenous organizations to be on a consultation panel, create an expression of interest, review submissions and choose one or more artists to design the memorial.
The Residential Schools Memorial Advisory Panel was established to develop a vision for the memorial with consultation from Indigenous communities, review eligible artist submissions and recommend an artist to create the memorial.
“The memorial matters because of where we have journeyed and who we are,” said Elder Bert Auger of Whitefish Lake First Nation. “This is to never forget the residential school experience.”
The chosen artist is expected to be announced this fall.
Any Indigenous artist or artist-led teams, collectives or partnerships of artists from or living in Alberta are welcome to submit an expression of interest. Recent familial connections to Alberta First Nations or with the Metis Settlements and Métis Nation Regions are required.
Expression of Interest
Eligible proposals must:
- include a Letter of Interest for the proposed concept
- include a resume/CV/biography(ies) in the application
- demonstrate experience and ability to manage and deliver the scope of work proposed
- include examples of public artwork with a clear demonstration of how the final project will be delivered with pictures/images
- include a rendering or image to support the proposed concept attached
- demonstrate a meaning/impression/story of how the proposal reflects the history of residential schools in Alberta
- include a connection to Indigenous communities in Alberta
The panel will only consider proposals that meet these submission requirements.
To apply and learn more about the criteria, visit the Alberta Government website.